Seeking simplification in an increasingly complicated world, CodeWeavers, Inc. announced today the release of its new software CrossOver XI. In one package, CrossOver XI enables all Mac and Linux PC users the ability run Windows software and games without the need for a Windows operating system license.
CrossOver XI replaces all previous versions of CodeWeavers’ CrossOver software.“No more CrossOver Games; so long CrossOver Pro (and Impersonator, and Bundle, and Platinum, and…), One download of CrossOver XI gives everyone in our universe immediate access to thousands of Windows applications otherwise unavailable without a Microsoft license,” said Jeremy White. “So, whether you’re a Mac user wanting to play Wizard 101, a Linux user needing Microsoft Office 2010, or someone who really misses the ‘90s and is nostalgic for WordPerfect 3.1, CrossOver XI is for you.”
Starting at $39.95, CrossOver XI is the most affordable software solution on the market to run your Windows applications on Mac and Linux. Sure, some solutions appear to be free or available at a comparable price, but they require you to purchase a copy of a Windows license, which can cost upwards of $100, before you can run any Windows applications. CrossOver does not. We repeat, CrossOver XI does not require you to purchase a Windows license.
“The only thing not simple about CrossOver XI is how we pronounce the name of the product,” White continued. “Should customers pronounce us as ‘CrossOver Ex-Eye,’ or as ‘CrossOver Eleven,’ or perhaps ‘CrossOver Exy,’ or as I like to refer to it, ‘CrossOver Zigh’? Considering we’re all about open source here, we’ll leave it to our customers to decide.”
CrossOver XI is immediately available at www.CodeWeavers.com
Wondering if your favorite Windows software title will run under CrossOver? Visit c4.codeweavers.com to find out.
Founded in 1996 as a general software consultancy, CodeWeavers focuses on the development of Wine –the core technology found in all of its CrossOver products. The company’s goal is to bring expanded market opportunities for Windows software developers by making it easier, faster and more painless to port Windows software to Linux. CodeWeavers is recognized as a leader in open-source Windows porting technology, and maintains development offices in Minnesota, the United Kingdom and elsewhere around the world. The company is privately held. For more information about CodeWeavers, log on to www.codeweavers.com.
11.0.0 CrossOver XI – March 6, 2012
CrossOver Application Changes:
- CrossOver is now a single product which includes the functionality of both the CrossOver Games and CrossOver Pro lines.
- CrossOver has an improved registration method which means that, after CrossOver XI, you will no longer have to re-register when you upgrade to a new “dot-release” version of CrossOver.
- Improved naming conventions for bottles.
- Improved handling for published bottles.
- Translations updates.
- Improved file association handling.
- CrossOver’s Linux MojoSetup installer now includes a silent option (add –noprompt during installation).
- Missing packages on Linux installations give more informative error messages.
- CrossOver gives an error message if it is unable to create a package on Linux systems.
- The CrossOver functions of bottle creation, a simulated reboot and bottle initialization now display progress bars.
- Added a close button to the installation window.
- Resolved a FreeBSD/CrossOver registration issue.
- Accents are now accepted in bottle names.
- Resolved an issue whereby html tags would sometimes appear in inappropriate places in the CrossOver interface.
- CrossOver and Wine:
- CrossOver now includes Wine 1.4, the latest stable Wine release. A few of the many benefits of Wine 1.4 are detailed below.
- A new DIB (Device Independent Bitmap) engine, which brings:
- better support for such things as themes on Firefox.
- faster drawing in certain situations.
- Improved mouse handling on Linux with XInput2, meaning mouse-controlled games work considerably better.
- Improved C++ runtime.
- Audio support improvements.
- uDisk support.
- A wide variety of other improvements brought by the more than 11,438 improvements to Wine with this release.
- Other CrossOver Changes:
- Improvements to the icon extraction for Windows applications, meaning fewer apps get a default ‘fallback’ icon (like the Wine bottle which used to appear for some things).
- Distribution on the Mac is now via a zip file rather than a dmg.
- CrossOver on the Mac will now offer to move itself to the /Applications folder if it is not already there.
- CrossOver Mac now ships with quartz-wm, so users should not have to install Apple’s X11.app in most cases. (quartz-wm also fixes some bugs on Lion with maximizing windows)
- CrossOver on Mac OS X now has user-controlled auto-updates.
- CrossOver on Linux has higher resolution icons for some applications.
- Kioclient now used on KDE systems where applicable.
- The X11 logo no longer appears at the top of windowed applications on the Mac.
- CrossOver will select Python 2.x on systems that have Python 3.x and 2.x instead of crashing.
- Bidi (right to left text) support is greatly improved.
- Added support for RAR file handling.
- CrossOver is no longer confused by spaces in the name of an installer.
- Improvements in the manner in which Steam games are installed.
- Improved disk detection when Japanese characters exist in the name of the disk.
- Documented sound workarounds for older versions of PulseAudio.
- CrossOver’s ‘Install Software’ list now displays the date on which a particular application was last ‘ranked’ with a medal.
As part of our merge of CrossOver Games and CrossOver Pro, CrossOver now supports both all the applications which previously ran under CrossOver Pro and all the games which previously ran under CrossOver Games.
In addition, we now support the following new applications:
- Microsoft Office 2010.
- Quicken 2012.
- CrossOver also supports the following components:
- .Net 1.1 Service Pack 1
- .Net 2.0 Service Pack 1
- .Net 2.0 Service Pack 2
- .Net 3.0
- .Net 3.5
- .Net 3.5 Service Pack 1
- Internet Explorer 6 accepts the addition of trusted sites.
- In Internet Explorer 7 various sites show improvement in loading and rendering.
- Improvements to Microsoft Office:
- Improvements to emf and meta file rendering (affects inserted and embedded images).
- Visio 2000 improved installation.
- Word 2000 outline style text is now rendered properly.
- Word 2000 images in a document are now printed properly.
- Word 2000 clipart redraws properly when a document is scrolled.
- Office 2002 installation improved.
- Office 2002 registration no longer hangs.
- Visio 2002 installation improved.
- Word 2002 drawing objects no longer refresh 5 to 20 times when edited.
- Word 2002 no longer locks up when a large document is printed to a file or printer.
- Word 2002 clipart redraws properly when a document is scrolled.
- Office 2003 Compatibility Pack for Office 2007 now saves in Office 2007 formats.
- Office 2003 Service Pack 3 now installs reliably and no longer needs the Office 2003 installation CD present.
- Excel 2003 macro improvements.
- Outlook 2003 email rendering improvements.
- Outlook 2003 signed messages are handled better.
- Project 2003 Service Pack 3 now installs reliably and no longer needs the Project 2003 installation CD present.
- Project 2003 associations are fixed.
- PowerPoint 2003 slides draw in half the time.
- PowerPoint 2003 no longer displays a strange white box over the “Open File” dialog box.
- Visio 2003 Service Pack 3 now installs reliably and no longer needs the Visio 2003 installation CD present.
- Visio 2003 drawing speed has increased dramatically.
- Word 2003 now draws WordArt properly.
- Office 2007 no longer relies on msxml3 for installation.
- Office 2007 installations can now be altered after an install to add or remove features.
- Office 2007 activation wizard now asks for registration on each launch if it was not initially registered.
- Office 2007 no longer displays a delay during installation.
- Office 2007 Service Pack 2 now applies to more Office 2007 versions.
- Excel 2007 macro improvements.
- Outlook 2007 can now open long links.
- Outlook 2007 receives icons in Outlook Today.
- Outlook 2007 does not crash when a password is saved.
- Outlook 2007 now connects to Gmail and other IMAP accounts on the Mac.
- Outlook 2007 maintains a more reliable connection with Exchange Servers.
- Outlook 2007 no longer reports errors after a Service Pack has been applied.
- Outlook 2007 signed messages are handled better.
- Outlook 2007 temporary internet files no longer grow endlessly.
- PowerPoint 2007 no longer displays an error when opening a document with embedded fonts.
- Word 2007 the thesaurus now works.
- Word 2007 can now copy and paste an image and text at the same time.
- Word 2007 tab stops appear reliably.
- Word 2007 can now create a chart from a table.
- Word 2007 can download and install templates after Service Pack 2 is applied.
- Word 2007 no longer crashes when printing documents with OpenType (.otf) fonts.
- PIA Pro now prints reliably.
- Quicken 2009 no longer crashes when ‘Bank of’ is selected.
- Quicken 2011 no longer crashes when checks are printed.
- DirectX 9 installation improved.
- Left 4 Dead & Left 4 Dead 2 now display the menu after completing a campaign consistently.
- In Guild Wars, right clicking no longer takes focus away from the game.
- Perfect World International interface problem resolved.
- The Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine installation process has improved.
- Skyrim graphics fix for ATI cards.
- In StarCraft II the mouse remains within the boundaries of the window.
- Star Trek Online no longer crashes in heavily populated areas.
- Steam GUI no longer gets ‘stuck’ to the mouse.