Mandriva Linux 2011 Release Notes
This page contains important information for the Mandriva Linux (2011.0) release, code name Hydrogen.
The following topics are covered:
- General information about new features and major changes.
- Changes to the Mandriva installer and upgrade instructions for users of previous releases.
- Changes to supported hardware and drivers.
- Changes regarding software packages.
- Other technical information for experienced users.
Please also refer to Mandriva Linux 2011 Errata – the Errata for the 2011 release. The Errata page contains information on known bugs and problems in this release and instructions on fixing, avoiding or working around them.
For a more detailed and graphical introduction to the most obvious user-visible changes in this release, please see the Release Tour.
Mandriva Desktop Linux 2011 is available in several different editions, listed below.
The edition is an installable live CD integrating some proprietary packages and is available free of charge.
Additional information is also available online:
- 640 MB RAM (recommends 1Gb)
- 8 GB free HDD space
- VGA display with resolution 1024×768
- Keyboard, mouse
- DVD/flash for installation
GNOME, Xfce and other Desktop Environments (DE) and Window Managers (WM) are no longer included in the official Mandriva packages. Contribution packages from the Mandriva community are available for these desktop environments however. Starting from Mandriva Desktop 2011 only KDE Plasma Desktop is officially supported. If you need Mandriva with another DE or WM you can use unofficial packages or distributions prepared by community members (which are described below).
This release is available:
- As Free live-DVD for the x86-32 and x86-64 architectures, on one DVD each.
- As One live-DVD for the x86-32 and x86-64 architectures, on one DVD each.